Looks like I’m here to stay for a while in Oaxaca, now that my papers for temporary residency are all sorted.
I’ve been thinking of projects for this year and they include:
- Bike Routes and Botany in Oaxaca, Mexico (an Enthusiasts Guide). Putting together a locally printed guidebook, with hand-drawn maps, botanical illustrations, and links to up-to-date gpx files for a series of day rides out of Oaxaca. Lots of historical/cultural background to each loop, including a breakdown of the kinds of plants you’ll likely see en route and where best to source great regional fare. A little old-fashioned in its presentation. Ten day rides and a couple of overnighters. An accompanying website too. This will be a joint project with Emma Bucke. Funded with Patreon?!
- Stay Humboldt T-shirt and stickers! Locally sourced and printed. Need to research Humboldt further but so far, it’s hard not to be incredibly inspired by this forward-thinking and compassionate Prussian botanist-explorer. Have a listen to this podcast to get a feel for The Last Man Who Knew It All – it seems especially topical right now, given our climate emergency.
- Get better at Spanish! I can make myself understood and hold a decent conversation. But I’m stuck on a plateau and need to make the jump to the next level! Lessons are needed…
- Find a way of getting my Big Fat Dummy down here, because I think it will blow people’s minds! And I miss it…
- Become more involved in bicycle advocacy here, especially as things open up and I become more social again.
To be added to!